Tech tool: EdApp
As a continuation of last week’s tech tool exploration, I am reviewing edapp. I want to see if this tool would be a more economical way to create microlearning lessons to be used in an online DEI course, to introduce some concepts, particularly ones that may be sensitive.
I listened to a podcast interview with Darren Winterford, the founder of EdApp (Episode #7 on The Make It Happen Show from February 24, 2019). I learned that the tool, dubbed a “mobile training platform”, was designed for employee training, specifically to be used on mobile devices. The intent was for the app to be easy enough for subject matter experts and/or human resource employees to create training materials and lessons without having to learn cumbersome software.
What sets the app apart from training tools? Winterford outlined how the app allows social learning and peer learning by allowing employees (app users) to share knowledge and ask questions by video or audio. There is also a discussion board option and gamification options.
My question is if the tool would work as well as 7taps for “learning” - rather than “training” (and is there really a difference)? The tool is heavily marketed to the business world and corporations. As I looked over the client list provided, I saw no educational institutions listed. There weren’t educator discounts, as there sometimes is for education tools. The website didn’t reference learning theories like 7taps did, and during the podcast I heard much more talk about profit and other commercial references. As I mentioned in my blog post about 7taps, edapp is much cheaper for an individual to purchase a pro account. Why?
I didn’t sign up (for free!) for the app, but I could if I wanted to explore how the tool works. This app will get put on my short list to consider for further research.
Comments
Post a Comment