Tech Tool for Hybrid Courses

When we (Leadership and Civic Engagement) offer hybrid courses through Extension, we mostly resort to using google sites as the repository for course instructions, documents, videos and other resources. While using the University’s LMS (Canvas) would give us more options such as integrated apps and allowing comments, etc., it has been difficult for participants to access Canvas since they are not registered students at the University. We end up using the DORS (Destiny One Registration System), which has been problematic with Extension programming, so we mostly avoid it. There have also been issues at times for participants to access documents and other items within Google products if they are not using a google email account (which we don’t, and shouldn’t, require!) I would also like any app we use to be accessible and usable from a mobile device, as some of our participants do not work at a desk, and potentially would be using their phone to assess course materials. 


So, this week I decided to do some exploring to figure out if there would be other platforms or applications that could be used for online courses. 


In the past I have used Slack for short term projects. Participants have been able to access the platform easily and are able to navigate the system of channels. The big drawback with Slack is that the free version stores history for only 90 days. I visited with Extension IT about a paid account, but apparently they’d need to purchase each workspace, which wouldn’t be fiscally feasible. 


I checked out Notion, a workspace app that a friend, who works in a different Extension department, recommended recently. She shared a Notion board with me as an example. I liked the layout, and it was easy to navigate on my phone as well, and it seems like this might work out for an online course, but I have more questions around the cost. Since another department is using it internally, I am curious if they purchased a subscription. I double checked Extension’s “supported software” list to see if it had been added, but it hasn’t been. If this seems to be a useful solution, I may ask Extension Technology staff to consider it. 


I signed up for a free Notion account, so I could experiment and play. The amount of options and flexibility is a bit overwhelming. I haven’t figured out how to lay out a board yet like the one my friend shared. This app would take some learning. I found the options for using AI within the app interesting, though the stuff I tested with it didn’t seem all that useful to me (though more specific prompts might generate better results). I think Notion is worth more investigation. Even if I didn’t end up using it for an online course, I could see using it personally, to organize work documents and materials, or with my work team. 


The other tool I found via an online search is Joomla. Joomla is an open source software, which was an immediate appeal to me, as it would be free to use. This page has a basic description of how Joomla works.  As I navigated around, I quickly realized that Joomla is beyond my skill level, and is probably geared more to developers with more knowledge. 


The reality is, google sites mostly work for our hybrid courses. I suspect there are "tips and tricks" that I am not using yet, that could potentially improve the sites I am building for our department's courses. A search and discover task for another day! 😃


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Open education.

Microlearning with Nidhi Sachdeva

Exploring tools for Photovoice project.